Chadar trek is one of a kind trek where you trek on the Frozen Zanskar River in Ladakh. The surreal feeling of walking on a sheet of ice with River Zanskar flowing just some inches beneath is an experience of a lifetime. This great trekking in Ladakh region is really the best of breed among all Himalayan trekking trails. Starting from Tilat Do and ending at Nyrek, this trek offers you the experience of how the locals walk on the frozen river to maintain their connection during harsh winter season. The life at Chadar is not easy but obviously magnanimous and magnificent. This is surely a dream of every trekker out there.
What is included in the tour
- 3 Nights accommodation in Leh (Guest house / Homestay) on double sharing
- 6 Nights tented accommodation on double sharing basis during the Trek
- Transportation required in the trek
- Highly experienced & skilled Local guide who has ample knowledge of the place and route
- All vegetarian meals on the trek (Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner). Breakfast & Dinner in Leh
- Kitchen equipment, Cook, Helpers and other requisite staff.
- Porters for carrying common equipment (like rations/tents/utensils/), Equipment – Tents on sharing basis / Sleeping bags / Sleeping Mats
- Basic First Aid Kit and Oxygen Cylinder
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any extra accommodation or meals in Leh for any reason
- Personal Porters for carrying backpacks of trekkers (Rs. 3000 for entire trek)
- Personal trekking equipment – like trekking poles or sleeping bag liners
- Personal insurance or cost of emergency evacuation
- Purchases of personal natures (like mineral water bottles / bottled or canned beverages / chocolates / dry fruits etc)
- Any other charge that the local authority (LAHDC, ALTOA or any other) may charge development fee during the trek (which may range anywhere between ₹1000-3000 per head). All of these kind of charges are to be paid by trekkers and not included in the package.
- Drive through some of the most amazing landscapes well-guarded by high passes and snowy mountains
- Witness frozen waterfalls and walk on the frozen River Zanskar
- Experience the culture of Ladakh region
- Admire and photograph fascinating formations of snow crystals, icicles, and frost
- Photography, stargazing and camping under the star-studded sky
- Watching confluence of River Zanskar and Indus
Day 1 – Fly to Leh & Acclimatization
Day 2 – Ladakhi Cultural festival at Leh
Day 3 – Drive to Tilad Do via Chilling (Drive 65 kms and Trek 2 km)
Day 4 – Tilad Do to Shingra Koma (Trek 9/10 kms)
Day 5 – Shingra Koma to Tibb Cave (Trek 10/11 kms)
Day 6 – Tibb cave to Naerak camp (Trek 9/10 kms)
Day 7 – Naerak to Tibb Cave (Trek 9/10 kms)
Day 8 – Tibb Cave to Shingra Koma (Trek 10/11 kms)
Day 9 – Shingra Koma to Tilad Do (Trek 9/10 kms & Drive 65 kms)
Day 10 – Transfer from Leh
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Moderate to Difficult
AVERAGE TEMPERATURE: Chadar Trek Camp base +10° C to -25° C
Day 01: Reach Leh & Acclimatize
After the pickup from Leh Airport and get rest in a guest house for acclimatization. This is a day for acclimatization. Acclimatization in Leh is a must to be accustomed with the high altitude and low Oxygen level. If you are physically fit and not suffering from any ailment, your body will acclimatize easily in a day. This acclimatization is very crucial. Also sufficient time would be given for visiting market for shopping once we are done with Orientation & Briefing about the trek. Stay in Guest House.
Day 02: Ladakhi Cultural festival at Leh
We begin our trek expedition with an auspicious Ladakhi Cultural Festival. During the festival, a great wooden mast decorated with streamers and religious emblems are erected and Cham Dance (Mask Dance) will be performed by Lamas of the Monastery. You also get to witness the fun side of the festival at the back of the monastery! Stay in Guest House
Day 03: Leh - Chilling - Tilat Do - Tsomo Paldar Trek (Drive/3-4 hrs & Trek/2 hr)
The day starts early in the mountains and we will get yourselves aligned to the routine. You will wake up early and perform some physical free hand exercise to warm yourselves up and freshen up. After breakfast you start our journey for the long-awaited Chadar trek. Take a beautiful drive on Ladakhi roads to reach Tilat Do via Nimoo, which will be the actual starting point of the Chadar trek till Tsomo Paldar. Once you reach Tsomo Paldar, you enter the Zanskar valley and reach the other side, which is the first camping site of your Chadar Trek and that is where we camp for the night. Stay in Tent
Day 04: Tsomo Paldar - Shingra Koma (Trek 9-10 km)
With the rising sun we start our day early. After freshening up, rejuvenate your body with a cup of energizing cup of tea made by our expert guide and ever helpful porter. Have your breakfast and set your foot on the Icy sheet of Zanskar to start the Chadar trek. Our primary objective will be to reach Shingra Koma by the end of the day but if needed the team will set our tent earlier in case of any emergency. Overnight stay at Shingra koma or earlier as needed. Stay in Tent
Day 05: Shingra koma - Tibb Cave (Trek 10-11 km)
Today, your destination is Tibb cave. You start your journey after having a nutritious breakfast and enter the deep gorges of Zanskar Canyon. With the high rising cliffs blocking the sunlight from entering into the canyon, this portion of the Chadar trek has very good thick ice cover and provide great ice trekking experience. The Tibb cave is a huge cave in the gorge and provides natural shelter to the local people when they travel through the frozen Zanskar. You set your camp here for tonight. Stay in Tent
Day 06: Tibb Cave - Nyerak (Trek 9-10 km)
Rise early, have a hot, smoky cup of tea with your breakfast. Start your journey on the Chadar Trek again with fellow trekkers. Today our destination is Nyrek village. The famous image of the frozen waterfall that appears in google result whenever you do a “Chadar Trek” search will be waiting for you en-route today. You may not believe but during summer this frozen waterfall turns into a gushing one with irresistible force that marks the end point of Zanskar rafting trail. We pass that immovable, enormous, frozen mass of water and reach Nyrek. Overnight stay at Nyrek. Stay in Tent
Day 07: Nyerak - Tibb Cave (Trek 9-10 km)
From Nyerk you will start the backward journey. Though we will be returning by the same route, a lot of the trail would have changed as the river changes by the hour during the season depending on the temperature and sunlight. We come back to Tibb Cave and camp for the night. Overnight camping at Tibb cave. Camping at/near Tibb cave is a landmark completion for Chadar trek. Stay in Tent
Day 08: Tibb Cave - Shingra Koma (Trek 10-11 km)
This is the penultimate day of our Chadar trek. You continue your journey back to Gyalpo. Upon reaching Gyalpo we set your tent on the ground where you camped earlier or elsewhere, depending upon the availability & suitability. Stay in Tent
Day 09: Shingra Koma - Tilat Do - Leh City
Today is the last day of Chadar trek as we trek back to Tilat Do. Here you cross the frozen Zanskar for the last time and then board your vehicles to drive back to Leh. Upon reaching Leh our tour ends. The glorious Chadar trek, Frozen river trek, Zanskar river trek whatever you call it, will always be with you for the rest of your life. Overnight stay in the Guest House.
Day 10: Transfer from Leh
Transfer from Leh Airport. The silent nights in the valley, chilly wind blowing over the tents, superlative bright starry skies, deep canyon and the sound of water flowing beneath the 'Chadar' will always be an unforgettable, lifetime memory.
Thus your exhilarating high altitude trek in Ladakh comes to an end with lots of new memories and experiences to take back. You can also find reviews of our participants on our Facebook Page.
For any further queries WhatsApp at +91-9035030952.
- Please carry original photo ID and 2 photocopies of the photo ID for Inner line permits.
- It is mandatory from the government to get a medical certification before we undertake the Chadar trek. A clearance certificate after the medical check-up will be issued by the Sonam Norbu Memorial (SNM) Hospital. This will be issued only after the participant is acclimatized and fit for the trek.
- Charges for a porter to carry personal bag throughout the trek (not more than 10 kgs): ₹ 3000 per person.
- Any other charge that the local authority (LAHDC, ALTOA or any other) may charge development fee during the trek (which may range anywhere between ₹1000-3000 per head). All of these kind of charges are to be paid by trekkers.