Sikkim is rich in biodiversity with flora and fauna with 36 varieties of Rhododendron, more than 500 species of birds. Dzongri, because of its altitude of 4200m, attracts trekkers worldwide for its magnificent view of grand Kanchenjunga among an imperial vista of the other Himalayan Mountains. The star attraction apart from Kanchenjunga is the endangered red panda. Yuksom Dzongri is one of the famous trekking routes in Sikkim. While trekking from Yuksom to Dzongri, you can see the majestic magnificence of Mount Kangchenjunga, Mount Kabru and Kabru Dome and a spectacular view of the other smaller Himalayan giants within its mountain range.
Dzongri is the individual place where you can get the feel of classical experiences with the thrilling roads. The place is settled in the Himalayas. It has China in the North, Bhutan to the eastern part and Nepal in the eastern frontier.
This place in Sikkim is positioned at a loftiness of 4,200 meters.
In addition the magnificent views of the Mt. Kanchendzonga 9595m), Mt. Pandim (6691m), Mt. Kabur (South/7317m, North/7338m), Mt. Kumbhakarna (7710m), Mt. Simvo (6811m), Mt. Kabru (6108m), Mt. Rathong (6679m), Goecha Peak (5127m) and several other peaks, makes this trek one of the best treks in Sikkim. This Trek offers adventurers ample opportunities to spot exotic wildlife, explore flourishing valleys, walkthrough majestic orchards and enjoy camping in Dzongri.
What is included in the tour
- Stay – Camping from Day 2 evening to Day 7 evening will be on Twin sharing basis.
- Stay – Hotel/Guesthouse on Day 1
- Dinner from Day 1 to Breakfast on Day 7 (Veg)
- Trekking equipment like Tents, sleeping bags, mattresses and other required equipment
- All permits and charges are Included.Do carry your ID during the trek.
- Experienced Guides, Trek Leader, Camp Staff, Kitchen staff. etc
What is NOT included in the tour
- GST- 5% extra
- Transportation to and from Base location (Yuksom).Transport will be arranged from Bagdogra to Yuksom / Yuksom to Bagdogra. The cost will be shared by Participants.
- Any cost arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond your control.
- Snacks / Beverages
- Items of personal nature like drinks, laundry, telephone calls, tips, camera fees etc
- Anything other than above mention inclusions
- Backpack Offloading: If you decide not to carry your own backpack, there will be the additional charge of Rs 3000/- for the entire trek and weight limit of the backpack will be 10KG per person.
- Spectacular views of Mount Kangchenjunga, Mount Kabru and Kabru Dome
- The beautiful sunrise from the Dzongri top.
- The beautiful Tibetan village of Tshoka.Known for its spectacular beauty and charm,
- You could try “toomba”, the local liquor, at a little teashop at Bakhim, which is a small settlement with not more than 10 houses.
- Yuksum, a small village is very calm and peaceful, a real get-away for those who want to avoid the tourist crowd. It is said that it was the first capital of Sikkim.
Day 1 – Arrive at Yuksum (1720m)
Day 2 – Yuksum to Sachen via Kanchenjunga National Park (2195 m) (4/5 hrs)
Day 3 – Sachen to Tshoka via Bakhim (3005 m) (3/4 hrs)
Day 4 – Tshoka to Dzongri via Phedang (4030 m) (6/7 hrs)
Day 5 – Rest Day + Explore Dzongri Top
Day 6 – Dzongri to Tshoka (3005 m) (4/5hrs)
Day 7 – Tshoka to Yuksom (2195 m) (9/10 hrs)
Day 8 – Drive to Bagdogra (8/9 hrs)
Day 1 - Arrive at Yuksum
Arrive at Bagdogra Airport the previous day. 8 hour drive to Yuksom. The drive will take you along the gushing Teesta River and continuing uphill, you will be crossing a bridge in Legship to reach Yuksom. Yuksom is a historical town in the West Sikkim district and the name means “meeting place of the 3 learned monks”, who came from Tibetto select Phuntsog Namgyal as the first king of Sikkim. The oldest Monastery of Sikkim – the Dubdi monastery is an hour’s walk from Yuksom. Enjoy a scrumptious meal, and spend the day at leisure, retire to your beds early, tomorrow will be an early morning. Overnight Guesthouse.
Day 2 - Yuksum to Sachen (4/5 hrs)
Post breakfast we begin the first day of trek from Yuksum and goes to Sachen. Trail is through Rhododendron forests of Kanchenjunga National Park. Magnificent forest trail with trees of oak, pine, rhododendrons and magnolia. Taking one through lush environs, and dense forests, travelers will have a surprise encounter with the ancient bridges of Pha Khola, Tshushay Khola waterfalls, and the Mentogang Khola River before reaching their destination of Sachen. Overnight at Foresthouse / Campsite
Day 3 - Sachen to Tshoka (3/4 hrs)
On the third day, the trek continues from Sachen to the next destination of Tshoka. We pass a small trekker’s hut at Bakhim. 2 kms from there is the small settlement of Tsokha with terraced farms. Tsokha is the last village on the trail and a vantage point for viewing the sunrise over Mt. Pandim. Overnight at Foresthouse / Campsite.
Day 4 - Tshoka to Dzongri via Phedang (6/7 hrs)
Surrounded by the Rhododendron trees, this is the most beautiful as well as the most crucial part of the trek. Almost midway through the trail lies Phedang which would be a good stopover for lunch. From Phedang the trail keep climbing till the highpoint at Deurali with a shrine and fluttering prayer flags. Great place to view all the snow-clad giants. From here it is a gradual descent to Dzongri with a few trekker’s hut and camping grounds. All around looming high into the sky are snow-capped giants. Most of the trail is filled with tall, dense rhododendrons on either side of a wood-paved path. Varying landscape takes you through the Red Rhododendron trees at their full bloom, steeps hikes on the side of mountains. Dzongri offers you a spectacular view of lush green meadows before. Overnight at Foresthouse / Campsite.
Day 5 - Rest Day + Explore Dzongri Top
We take a break after 2 long days of walking to rest in Dzongri. The early risers can trek upto Dzongri top to view the glorious sunrise on the Kanchenjunga Massif. The act can be repeated in the evening for another set of enchanting views as the sun descends. The day can be spent doing short hikes around the camp. Overnight at Foresthouse / Campsite.
Day 6 – Dzongri to Tshoka (6/7 hrs)
From Dzongri, we start walking back towards the first campsite at Tshoka, taking a different route through Phedang, skipping Dzongri. From Phedang we retrace our way back to Tsokha. The trail moves through one of the most magnificent forests of rhododendrons and oaks. The gradient is gradual up and down making it easy to cover the long distance. The whole trail is filled with Rhododendron blossoms. The gradient is gradual up and down making it easy to cover the long distance. Overnight at Foresthouse / Campsite.
Day 7 – Tshoka to Yuksom (9/10 hrs)
Post breakfast, descending through the Prek Chu River, we will be arriving in Yuksom, the last leg of this astounding tour. We retrace our footsteps back to where we started, marking the completion of one of most beautiful and a challenging trek of the Himalayas. Overnight Guesthouse.
Day 8 – Drive to Bagdogra (8/9 hrs)
We leave early morning and we drive for 8 hrs to reach the airport at Bagdogra. Fly out. Trip Ends!
Thus your trek in the Himalayas in Sikkim comes to an end with lots of new memories and experiences to take back. You can also find reviews of our participants on our Facebook Page.
For any further queries WhatsApp at +91 903 503 0952.
- Please carry original photo ID, 4 photocopies of the photo ID and 3 passport size photo for the forest permission.
- Special trek permit for foreigners: Foreigners need to obtain a special permit at Gangtok to trek in Sikkim. ADD Ventures Unlimited can help you obtain this permit. Kindly reach Yuksom a day before the trek batch starts. The charges of obtaining the permit will be Rs.2,000 per person and has to be paid to our representative who will meet you at Yuksom.
- Citizens of China, Myanmar and Bangladesh are not permitted to trek in this area.