Kashmir Great Lakes Trek is a classic trek in the Himalayas with spectacular landscapes and breathtaking pristine lakes. We provide our trekkers a splendid opportunity to experience the nature’s camaraderie in Kashmir – “The Paradise on earth”. On this trek, we explore a combination of Himalayan lakes, far-reaching meadows, high altitude passes and the vast unexplored vistas of Kashmir Himalayas. Some of the Lakes visited on this trek are Gangabal, Vishansar, Krishnasar and Gadsar.
What is included in the tour
- Stay –Camping from Day 1 evening to Day 7 evening.
- Dinner from Day 1 to Lunch on Day 8 (Veg)
- Trekking equipment like Tents, sleeping bags, mattresses and other required equipment
- Inner line permits. Photo ID for forest permission. Do carry your ID during the trek.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transportation to and from Basecamp (Sonmarg). We will arrange the taxis to pick up trekkers from Srinagar and drop to Srinagar from Narangag. The cost will be shared among trekkers
- Snacks / Beverages
- Items of personal nature like drinks, laundry, telephone calls, tips, camera fees etc
- Anything other than above mention inclusions
- Backpack Offloading: If you decide not to carry your own backpack, there will be the additional charge of Rs 2000/- for the entire trek and weight limit of backpack will be 10KG per person.
- This trek is one of the most beautiful treks and rare one where you can explore five lakes at a high altitude.
- This trek offers a lifetime experience of vintage memories which you will cherish for a lifetime.
- Witness the high mountain passes and the snow patches that feed the lakes. Occasionally you might also see milky white icebergs floating on the lake’s inky blue surface.
- Although this trek will lead you to some ascend, yet you will also get to see small hamlets and the lights flickering there.
- The trail will take you through innumerable meadows, snow-clad glaciers and pinnacle passes, rocky barren lands, struggling streams.
Day 1 – Arrive at Sonamarg (7800ft)
Day 2 – Sonamarg to Nichnai via Shekdur (11,500 ft.)(9.6km)( 5/6 hrs)
Day 3 – Nichnai to Vishansar lake via Nachnai Pass (13,100 ft) (12.5km) (7/8 hrs)
Day 4 – Acclimatization + Rest Day + Explore Vishnusar and Kishansar Lakes
Day 5 – Vishansar lake to Gadsar via Gadsar Pass (13,750ft) (11.5km) (7/8 hrs)
Day 6 – Gadsar to Satsar (12,000ft) (8.6km) (5/6 hrs.)
Day 7 – Satsar to Gangabal twin lakes via Zaj Pass (13,000ft) (10km) (6/7 hrs)
Day 8 – Gangabal to Naranag Drive to Srinagar (7,450ft) (10km) (6/7 hrs)
Day 1 – Arrive at Sonamarg
Depart to Sonamarg in the afternoon. It is a 3 hrs drive from Srinagar. Transport will be arranged at 2:00 PM from Srinagar. The cost will be shared between trekkers.
Day 2 – Sonamarg to Nichnai via Shekdur
We begin the first day of the trek from Sonamarg and goes to Nichnai – a total distance of 9km. The beginning will be a very steep climb that goes on for 3 hours and then a 1-hour moderate climb, followed by a 3-4 hour (depending on your speed and fitness) ascent to Nichnai. The camp will be set up here at 11,500 feet
Day 3 – Nichnai to Vishansar lake via Nachnai Pass (5/6 hrs)
The second day is when you get to see the first Kashmir Lake – Vishnusar, at 12,700 feet and if you like fish, it is also the day you get to enjoy fresh trout from this lake! The trail on this day crosses the Nichnai Pass at 13,100 feet and is very different from the previous day. You will walk for around 6-7 hours, during which you will ascend and descend and cover vast meadows before finally making camp at a plain area, a hill away from Vishnusar Lake.
Day 4 – Acclimatization + Rest Day + Explore Vishnusar and Kishansar Lakes.
The day is easy one. There are two lakes nearby Vishansar & Kishansar. Today is for the exploration of these lakes. The lakes are famous for trout fishing but one has to get prior permission from Srinagar for fishing here. Camp for the night at Vishansar.
Day 5 – Vishansar lake to Gadsar via Gadsar Pass (7/8 hrs)
Day 5 is tough, Trek upward to the top of the ridge from Kishansar lake. Initially, the trek is a steep ascent which is followed by a steep descent & a gentle walk through the meadows. Cross Gadsar pass, at 13,750 feet. On the other side of the pass, there are a couple of small lakes & peaks outside the LOC can be seen from here. The beauty of flowers & Meadows en route is something you should look forward to. You will reach Gadsar Lake by early afternoon. All details of the visitors including original ID cards are checked in the army camp which is nearby. Camp for the night at Gadsar.
Day 6 – Gadsar to Satsar (5/6 hrs)
Today is a breeze compared to the others. There are only four hours of walking from the Gadsar to the Satsar Lakes. Around 20 minutes before Satsar, you’ll have to check in at an Army camp. They’ll look at your IDs, jot down some details and move you along. Camp, as usual, is made next to a water source.
Day 7 – Satsar to Gangabal twin lakes via Zaj Pass (6/7 hrs)
Day 7 is one of the most exciting days. Not only do you get a gorgeous sighting of the Gangabal and Nandkol twin lakes, but you finally also camp near a lake. You will walk 9 km in around 6 hours to reach Nandkol Lake. The highest point you’ll trek up to will be Zaj Pass at a height of 13,500 feet.
Day 8 – Gangabal to Naranag Drive to Srinagar (6/7 hrs)
The final day is mostly down. And a long, crazy, knee-hurting descent. You start with crossing some hillocks and later get on to a trail in a beautiful pine forest. After walking for around 3 hours, you’ll come to a point where the downward rocky path will begin. This part of the trek will be full of big and small rocks and slippery sand that will make the walk exhausting.
But when you finally reach the end, the sense of achievement at having completed the trek will make the pain worth it. You will have reached Naranag today after walking 11 km and Srinagar is a 3-hour car ride away. Drive to Srinagar. The cost will be shared between trekkers. You will reach Srinagar by 7 PM.
Thus your trek in the Kashmiri Mountains comes to an end with lots of new memories and experiences to take back. You can also find reviews of our participants on our Facebook Page.
For any further queries WhatsApp at +91-9035030952.