Ladakh Explorations & Expeditions are our favorite series of events of the year! It gets exciting every year as we keep adding on some extra adventure! This time we witness the culturally and visually vibrant Yuru Kabgyat Festival in Lamayuru.
We will be riding our Royal Enfields on those long serene roads and completely off roads with views you will never see anywhere else; camping in the wilderness and dancing around the campfire; Rafting in the mighty Zanskar River; and creating everlasting memories! It is definitely an adventure of a lifetime!
Riding difficulty – Moderate (Depending on the season & water level on the road)
Riding days – 8 days (Day 1 – Day 8)
Average riding duration – 6 to 7 hours every day
Average riding distance – 120 to 150 km every day
Main Attractions – Yuru Kabgyat Festival, Pangong Tso, Turtuk Valley, Diskit Monastery, Lamayuru Monastery, Sonamarg, Drass .
Passes & Altitude – Khardung La(18,379ft) , Chang La(17,586 ft), Tanglang La(17,480 ft)
The costing is as follows:
SUV - Rs. 28000 per person
Royal Enfield Double sharing (500cc) - Rs. 30000 per person
Royal Enfield Solo riding (350cc) - Rs. 34000 per person
Himalayan Double sharing - Rs. 34000 per person
Himalayan Solo riding - Rs. 39000 per person
What is included in the tour
- Bike, helmet and fuel for riders (Day 1 to Day 8)
- Stay in the guest house and Swiss tents (Day 1 to Day 7)
- Dinner and Breakfast
- Mechanic and support vehicle with an oxygen cylinder and first aid kit
- Environmental fees and Inner Line Permits
- Pick up from Leh Airport
What is NOT included in the tour
- Transportation till Starting point and back from End Point
- Entry ticket of Monasteries & Monuments
- Lunch and Snacks/Beverages
- River Rafting Expenses
- Items of personal nature like laundry, telephone calls, tips, camera fees etc
- Anything other than above-mentioned inclusions
- Ride on one of the highest motorable road in the world and conquer the highest motorable passes in the Himalayas
- Witness the colourful 'Cham masked' dance performed by the head Lamas during the Ladakhi Festival.
- Test your riding skills on the off roads of Ladakh and enjoy the adrenaline rush!
- Explore the sheer scenic beauty of Snow covered mountains throughout the journey
- Mesmerize the bird's eye view of Leh city from the Shanti Stupa
- Experience a unique and diverse white water river rafting expedition in the Zanskar River
- Devour the best Momos at Khardungla canteen (Highest motorable pass)
- Sip hot and refreshing lemon tea at Changla canteen (Third highest motorable pass)
- Behold the sight of stunning Pangong Lake which is famous for changing colors
- Capture the mountainscapes, desertscapes and riverscapes altogether into your lens
- Ride the Bactrian Double Humped Camel through the white sand dunes in Nubra Valley
Day 1 – Acclimatization in Leh
Day 2 – Leh to Nubra valley via Khardungla
Day 3 – Nubra Valley to Turtuk to Nubra Valley
Day 4 – Nubra Valley to Pangong Tso via Shayok
Day 5 – Pangong Tso to Leh via Changla
Day 6 – Leh to Lamayuru + River Rafting
Day 7 – Lamayuru (Yuru Kabgyat Festival) to Kargil
Day 8 – Kargil to Srinagar via Zojila
Day 1 - Acclimatization in Leh
Once we are done with orientation and briefing, we go on an acclimatization walk across the town to Shanti Stupa and Leh Palace. The rest of the day is for relaxation and some shopping. Stay at Guesthouse in Leh
Day 2 - Leh to Nubra valley via Khardungla
Our ride starts with us conquering the mighty Khardung La (the World's Highest Motorable Road at a height of 18,380 ft). Riding further downhill, we enter the heart of Nubra valley. It is an amazing experience that you will remember for the rest of your life. The ride along the Shayok River to enter Hunder sand dunes is a treat for the eyes. Then we will visit the oldest and largest monastery, Diskit monastery enroute Hunder in Nubra valley. It is located at an altitude of 3142 meters. Once we arrive at our campsite, we get refreshed and head out to explore the sand dunes. Stay at Camp/Guesthouse in Hunder
Day 3 - Nubra to Turtuk to Nubra
Around 80km further north from Hunder (Nubra), we reach a beautiful village which was part of former Baltistan. Turtuk is one of the last unexplored places in Leh - Ladakh and village still retains the pristine with very hospitable local people. We return to Hunder same day. Stay at Camp/Guesthouse in Hunder
Day 4 - Nubra to Pangong Tso via Shayok
Today’s route is actually a shortcut road to reach the famous Pangong Tso via Shayok through rough and rocky terrain and in between water streams.The first glance of the alluring Pangong Lake and its blue waters is enough to leave a lasting impression on your mind. Our campsite for the night, which is our personal favourite, is by the lake itself at Spangmik – 20 km away from the shooting point. Stay at Camp/Guesthouse in Spangmik
Day 5 - Pangong Tso to Leh via Changla
On our journey back to Leh today, we conquer the Third Highest Motorable Road - Chang La (17590 ft). Do not miss hot lemon tea and delicious local Thukpa at the Chang La canteen. After another gruelling descent from the pass, we get connected to the Manali - Leh highway after crossing beautiful village, Sakti. From then the road till Leh will be a smooth sail. Reach Leh by evening. Stay at Guesthouse in Leh.
Day 6 – Leh to Lamayuru + River Rafting
Today’s ride is towards the Srinagar Highway, we wash off all the dust from our crazy journey by plunging into the waters of Zanskar River! We will go on a crazy rafting expedition which you will surely cherish. Then we head to the Moonland of Ladakh – Lamayuru. Stay at Guesthouse in Lamayuru.
Day 7 – Lamayuru to Kargil
We begin the first day of ride with the most auspicious ceremony at Lamayuru Monastery for Yuru Kabgyat Festival. During the festival, a great wooden mast decorated with streamers and religious emblems are erected and Chamm Dance (Mask Dance) will be performed by Lamas of the Monastery. In the dance drama, characters depicts as Yama (the Lord of Death) and Padmasambhava (the Second Buddha). He is considered to be the protector of the horses and animals and is also regarded as the Lord of Wealth. The festival concludes with sacrificial offerings and sacred rites performed. After witnessing the vibrant Ladakhi festival, we head to Kargil. Stay at Guesthouse in Kargil.
Day 8 – Kargil to Srinagar via Zojila & Sonamarg
The last leg of our journey leads to Srinagar! We will visit the famous Kargil War Memorial which was built in the memory of the soldiers and officers of the Indian Army. Once you reach the pass, you are going to have an amazing view of the mighty Himalayan Mountains, which makes the ride worth. We will reach Srinagar by late evening. Stay at Guesthouse in Srinagar.Thus your Ladakh Odyssey comes to an end with lots of new memories and experiences to take back.